To reach our goal of treating a higher percentage of faecal waste generated in India, it is critical to build robust institutions that would enable the required scale. This session aimed at gaining insights from experts with experience in building or accelerating the growth of organizations, with key priorities and levers to achieve scale.
SIZE MATTERS: THE CASE FOR GOING BIG
Experts guided partners on the steps forward to scale implementation and how to manage the possible challenges that may arise. Conversations revolved around skill building, incorporating scale right from the beginning and ensuring quality amongst many other key themes.
- Address scale from the onset: An organization has to operate thinking of scale, and make the necessary investments right from the beginning rather than retrospectively.
- Identify, nurture and invest in human capital: The right leadership and team, with drive and energy, can ultimately determine how successful an institution is.
- Engage with India’s demographic dividend: India’s youth are willing to engage, and grow relevant skills, if given the right opportunity. Their ease and familiarity with technology will make this even easier.
- Leverage momentum: Make the most of opportune environments at national, state, policy and implementation levels.
- Decentralization and agility: In order to ensure that service delivery happens, the roles and responsibilities of partnerships with different institutions need to be clearly defined, to assist optimal efficacy.
- Measure quality: Gauge the impact on the ground and subsequently share successes and failures in order to enable cross learning and support.
BUILDING THE BLUEPRINT: WORKSHOP
To contextualize some of the perspectives shared in the panel discussion, grantees worked in smaller mixed groups which individually looked at one of seven institutional archetypes which represented the types of organizations present in the room. The exercise saw sharing of fresh perspectives to address key challenges; and helped potentially inform strategy.
EMERGING THEMES FROM THE WORKSHOP
- Create a road-map for an organization: Vision and mission statements that focus on a common goal of achieving inclusive urban sanitation solutions in India.
- Develop systems and processes to achieve outcomes: Strengthen leadership, advisory board and governance, build capacities of external and internal stakeholders, and identify the right funding and operations models are necessary to achieve defined outcomes.
- Identify enabling factors in achieving scale: Monitoring and evaluation, technology innovations, quality assurance and adoption of best practices are some of the factors to enable scale.